Wednesday 18 September 2013

How to Expect What You're Not Expecting


The books are finally here! Real books, lovingly designed objects with heft and that new-print smell of paper and ink--yes, I inhaled them, so what? It was quite the thrill. And if you like your books more ephemeral, an e-version is available.

So much experience is contained in this collection of essays about hard subjects, with a beautiful foreword by Kim Jernigan. I'm proud to have had a small part in this project, the joint brainstorm of co-editors Lisa Martin-DeMoor and Jessica Hiemstra. Tribute must be paid to the heart, skill and insight they brought to the editing process. More than that, I can't wait to meet them *IRL*, because although ours was a virtual collaboration, after many months it feels like friendship. I have the sense that I already know some of the other contributors--totally wrong, of course, but that's the power of an essay.

I can't describe the book better than Lisa does on her Writer in Residence website--check it out. Note also that a Toronto launch will be held October 10th at Type Books (they of the wondrous videos) on Queen Street West, with events in other cities to come.
 
You can order How to Expect What You're Not Expecting directly from the publisher (TouchWood Editions) here, or from your favourite local bookstore or Amazon or Chapters.  

* Is In Real Life's moment already over? I hope not. There's a new film out with that title, so I embrace IRL for now, whatever real may mean when we're all done tossing it around.*

No comments:

Post a Comment